Saturday, February 23, 2008

News from Lon on recent acheivements

...this from Lon. I hope he doesn't mind, but I'm just forwarding it because it says it all and let's face it...I'm too lazy right now to put it in my own words!!

Happy writing!
Kaye

Here it is:

- Artist Scott Waddell ( www.scottwaddellfinearts.com ) touched base with me this weekend with exciting news about the painting he cast me as a whaler in. It is featured this month on the inside back cover advertisement of American Art Collector. Cavalier Galleries ( www.cavaliergalleries,com ) of Greenwich, CT have the painting as a part of their current show. The lady working there recognized me from the painting after a brief double take, and graciously allowed Shelley to take some pictures. From all reports, the painting is being very well received by the gallery's patrons. If I had 14 large, I'd pick it up myself, but for now I'm going to have to settle for a snapshot. See the attached file, if you're interested.

- I met my short story idol Howard Waldrop this weekend at Boskone; he's a soft-spoken living legend in short weird stories. He is writing the introduction to my friend (and collaborator) Josh Rountree's collection Can't Buy Me Faded Love which comes out in May from Wheatland Press ( www.wheatlandpress.com ), and you will hear more about that amazing book, I guarantee.

- FREE (which most of you know is my favorite four letter word) FICTION: None from me this time around, but check out cool stuff going on THROUGH THE END OF FEBRUARY at Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show ( http://www.intergalacticmedicineshow.com/cgi-bin/mag.cgi?do=content&article=free_stories ) They are giving away four free stories from their web magazine so those on the fence about subscribing can see what all the fuss is about. Of particular interest, See "Tabloid Reporter to the Stars" by my friend and Writers of the Future buddy Eric James Stone and "Trill and the Beanstalk" by Edmund Schubert. Also from the FREE file: Sign up for Tor Books' newsletter ( http://www.tor-forge.com/NewsLetter.aspx ) and receive some free ebooks of cool novels like Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson and Old Man's War by John Scalzi.

- My poem "Goodwill" appeared this month in CHOPPER 2, a local poetry journal. They sold out fast, but I was able to snag a copy before they did. Anyone interested in the second printing should give a shout to Helen at chopperjournal@gmail.com to find out details. I also recently sold a poem to the webzine Goblin Fruit ( http://www.goblinfruit.net ) for their Summer 2008 issue.

- On the fiction front, Frontier Cthulhu ( http://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Cthulhu-Ancient-Horrors-Fiction/dp/1568822197 )is on the streets and has even been sighted in some big chain bookstores. The only review I've seen on the book so far is the Amazon reader review at the link above; it's a quite positive review from someone who is apparently a huge fan of all things Lovecraftian. Also, I sold what I think is one of my most poignant stories to Talebones! ( www.talebones.com ) Look for an email from me in the fall for information on how to get a copy for yourself.

- That's enough for now, thanks for reading!

Lon


PS Check out the up-to-the-minute updates on my writing at the recently revamped www.lonprater.com

No comments: